Sunday, February 21, 2010

Has anyone had luck painting ceramic wall tiles?

I have a really awful looking tile job in my bathroom. I am selling the house and don't have money to have it replaced. They even tiled the ceiling.





I am a proffessional auto painter for over 20 years and know how to paint. I have sanders, paint guns and protective equipment.





I've seen allot of discussion about this, many saying no you can't paint it, many saying yes you can. What I'd like to know is there anyone who has done it, how you did it, and what was the result.





I've heard there are professionals that do this work, what type of paint do they use, what is their method of preparation?Has anyone had luck painting ceramic wall tiles?
You can have a professional come in and spray your tub, tiles, etc. I don't know what kind of paint they use, but you can look them up under ';reglazers';. It's usually a few hundred dollars depending on the size of the job.





I was in the same situation as you. I had horrendous brown tile in my half bath and was preparing to sell the home. I decided to take the job on myself, figuring the worst case scenario being re-tiling. So I went out and bought some high gloss epoxy paint in a bright white color and a high quality smooth roller and went to work. I cleaned the tiles (with TSP) and primed them. I applied the paint and allowed it to thoroughly dry before doing any touch ups. It dried beautifully and smooth to the touch. Gave the bathroom an instant face lift.Has anyone had luck painting ceramic wall tiles?
It'll be very difficult to paint because of the glazing


on the tile. You gotta take the glaze off first before the


paint will stick to the tile.


Good luck!
A paint company named Jo-Sonja (as well as others) makes a paint additive that is for painting cermaic. Look for it at your local craft/art/print shop. Always protect your work with a layer of clear coat, non-yellowing varnish. Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment