Saturday, February 27, 2010

What's the best way to get a clean/crisp line when painting different colors on a textured wall?

I've painted two bedrooms already and so frustrated that I couldn't make a clean/crisp line between two different paint colors. I'm painting walls and where walls and ceiling meet. I am spending so much time retouching even if I use blue tape all around. The paint seeps in between the grooves of the textured walls. Please advise. Thanks!What's the best way to get a clean/crisp line when painting different colors on a textured wall?
On texture don't waste your time by masking with tape. Use a 2 1/2 inch angled professional nylon/polyester brush(such as Purdy or Wooster). When you are looking at the line as you apply the paint you need to look about 3 to 4 inches ahead of your leading brush bristles this works better than staring at the paint line or the bristles.Just like a farmer looks ahead when he plants seeds and not behind him. But don't think because retailers and manufacturers tell the public its so easy anyone can do it that you'll have professional results.Painting is an artisan trade that is as skilled as carpentry,auto mechanics,computer programing etc. I've been a professional for 26 years and to this day I can still become frustrated with ceiling lines that are crooked because of bad plasters or bad drywallers thus making it difficult at best for me to produce a straight edge.What's the best way to get a clean/crisp line when painting different colors on a textured wall?
I found that if you paint the walls first, let them dry. Then tape the top of the walls, and then paint the ceiling. I know this is opposite of what you are suppose to do, but since the ceiling has a popcorn finish, I found this way to be the easiest.
Steve B is exactly correct.


It's as hard as drawing a straight line freehanded.





I hate that darn blue tape too!
lol...either VERYcarefully,or paint walls the same as the cieling !! good luck..
I tried EVERYTHING when I did my babies nursery and found NOTHING that worked-I will be curious to see what idea people come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment