Saturday, February 27, 2010

Painting over wall paper? Do I need to prepare the walls?

My mom talked to a guy at home depot and he said it's okay to paint over wall paper, it just won't be as good quality. I have to paint the room by myself so is there anything I have to do to prepare the walls? some of the wall paper is ripped off in certain areas. Am I supposed to sand paper that down or something? I have a primer and regular paint. Is that all I really need?Painting over wall paper? Do I need to prepare the walls?
You should remove the paper.





The only time you should paint over wallpaper is when you absolutely can't remove it. Whoever buys the house in the future is not going to want painted over wallpaper walls.





If you decide to paint over it, you must use a solvent primer (oil or shellac based) to adhere to and seal off the old paper.





Every seam will show unless you spackle or use drywall compound over the seams (and sand them smooth). All tears will also need to be spackled smooth.Painting over wall paper? Do I need to prepare the walls?
Your first mistake was to ask a person who works at home depot for advice.


Second mistake is to listen to this advice.


Do not paint over wall paper...to remove this is a nightmare after it has been painted...and you will want to eventually remove it when it start to lift and bubble under the paint. Just take a day and remove the paper...wash the walls and rinse them...fix what is needed to be fixed....and then you will be ready to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment