Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do I hang fabric on my wall in place of painting?

We live in military housing and I don't want to go through the hoops of painting our bedroom. I have seen people use fabric on their walls rather than painting. How would I measure the fabric so that it is from floor to ceiling and how do I get it to stay up without messing up the wall?How do I hang fabric on my wall in place of painting?
You probably have 8' ceilings. You would cut the fabric the height of the wall and dip it into liquid starch. Slightly wring it out. Start hanging at the edge of the wall and use some push pins at the top to hold it. Smooth it out with a wallpaper brush. It's going to take alot of fabric unless you find some flat sheets you like.


Full size flat sheet will cover 6' 9'; of 8' tall wall.


Queen flat sheet=8' 6'; of wall


King flat sheet=9' of wall.


The most economical looks like the queen flat. Just let out the top hem and launder to remove stitch marks.


Otherwise you will need 2 2/3 yards of fabric to cover one section of floor from top to bottom. Then you need to figure out how many sections you have by dividing the width of the fabric into the width of the wall.(for example you would need just shy of 11 yds of fabric for a 12' long wall. one 8' piece would be cut lengthwise.and you'd have that for another wall)


To remove just spray with hot water and peel off. Wash the walls down and launder the fabric for your next house.How do I hang fabric on my wall in place of painting?
I have a fabric wall in my bedroom and I love it. Don't want to burst your bubble, but painting is way cheaper and faster than a good fabric wall.
http://www.rentaldecorating.com/quick_fix_fabric_on_walls.htm
Measure the height from the floor. The width of each wall. If you are using a designed floral print you will need to match it up just like wallpaper. I've never hung material/fabric but it would be about the same as doing wallpaper and I think you could use wall paper paste. Why don't you browse in Sherwin Williams or Home Depot or Lowe's store at their wallpaper rolls. Sometimes certain wallpaper has the glue already on the rolls and all you need to do it measure it out and cut it or match it up first then cut and make however many pieces you need to begin hanging it. Then you put the wallpaper sheet through the water and get ready to hang it. You will need a wallpaper brush to push it into place. The water container is long rectangle container and very easy to use. Where ever you go the store will help you through what you need to know and what you need to use. You can even top it with a fancy border all around the room. It is a lot of fun browsing through the wallpaper catalogs to find what you like. Good Luck.
  • private myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment