Thursday, February 18, 2010

When to prime a wall before painting?

I have various colors on the walls in my house. One is yellow, one is green. One is beige, etc. How do you know when to prime a wall before repainting? It seems like the beige I could just paint a dark color over. I don't know about the green though. Is there a good rule of thumb?When to prime a wall before painting?
I would think that a good rule of thumb is you can paint over a pale color without using a primer. I'd go with primer if the walls are the same hue or darker than the paint you plan to use.





Primers can also be tinted darker so that you may use fewer finish coats. Personally, I always go with two finish coats ( and three or more with saturated colors) because in the end you will have a smoother finish and truer color as paint will ';shrink'; some while it is drying, and the second coat covers the minute spaces caused by the shrinkage.





However, if there is smoke residue, you will definitely need to prime. I repainted the interior of my mother's house, she smoked 3 packs a day! I washed the walls twice, then called in a professional wall washing service to do it again. I ended up using two coats of primer and 3 coats of paint.When to prime a wall before painting?
prime over all colors.kilz works great.if you dont the old paint will show through.
yes
  • windows live
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment