Monday, February 8, 2010

What painting technique is best to slightly lighten a painted wall?

Had my walls painted with what I thought would be a soft golden yellow and turned out much darker than I wanted, so I'd like like to lighten it slightly. What should I do? I'd rather not have to completely repaint if at all possible.What painting technique is best to slightly lighten a painted wall?
The easiest way is to rag paint over it using a ';ragging on'; method with a lighter color of golden yellow.





Ragging on is easy to control the ';density'; of added color.What painting technique is best to slightly lighten a painted wall?
I had that happen when I painted our upstairs bath; the color turned out to be a little more than I had wanted. What I did was take glazing liquid (the stuff you use when doing faux finishes) and mix a little white paint with it and just rolled that over the entire thing.





You should make a sample board to figure out just what you want to do. Paint the base color on and let that dry. Then start mixing your glaze and white paint. Start with something like 2/3 glaze to 1/3 white paint and try that. If it doesn't lighten it enough, add a little more white paint. Just measure and write down the formula so you can duplicate it.





What's cool is that the glazing liquids come in different finishes too! They have satin, pearlescent, iridescent and some with a bit of metallic in them. I just used the satin because that's what I had and I didn't want to make another trip to the paint store!
Hi,





You still have to repaint, unfortunately. Next time, just buy a sample from your local paint store and apply it to a small section of the wall. Note: the sample may be slightly off because the paint store has to mix with a different formula to produce a smaller amount of paint. (But not so much that you will not get an idea of how light or dark the color is.)





Make sure you apply a stain blocker first so you do not have to paint multiple coats.
You can do a ';wash'; with a lighter color, or for more drama, a different color. Check with your local paint store, they'll explain it. You'll like it.
not possible the easiest and least time consuming way to fix that problem is to re-paint SORRY

No comments:

Post a Comment