Monday, February 8, 2010

Do I need to prime a wall before painting for new contruction home?

I want to paint the interior walls but I'm unsure if I need to sand and/or prime the walls before painting. The paint that is currently on the walls is paint used by the builder.Do I need to prime a wall before painting for new contruction home?
Did you get a touch up kit? Most builders leave one for you-then you'll know if its latex (waterbased) or not. Most use latex everywhere now due to the ease and new enviormental standards with paint. No-you shouldn't need a primer. Try Behr paint or Valspar excellent brands. Walmarts paint is actually made by Valspar and I loved how thick and rich it went on the walls. Try also the low sheen or pearl or such. Its between flat and satin-so it looks flat but is totally easy to clean. Semi-gloss in bath andkitchens for same reasons-satin or semi in laundry rooms. I just repainted my whole 3,400 sq ft house myself-I'm 48 yrs. Just a small space going up the stairs is left as I don't want to stretch on the ladder without hubby! You can do it-and so worth it!Do I need to prime a wall before painting for new contruction home?
1. Before re-painting always sand all the walls.


2. Usually walls are painted in latex and doors in oil. Over the latex paint you don't need to prime. Just sand and put 2 coats of paint.


In case if walls was painted in oil (usually kitchen or bathroom) and you want them to paint in latex, you HAVE to prime them w/ OIL PRIMER before putting coat of latex.





Good Luck ;)
If it is new drywall never painted priming is the best because it is cheaper than paint. You will have it soak into the new drywall and use quite a bit of paint so prime first. If its already been painted unless you have oil base or something on it go ahead and paint . You might want kills primer if its a wet area though just for mildew reasons.
No, priming is not necessary as the paint that is already there has sealed the walls. If there are any rough spots you may want to fill or sand them. Just be careful if sanding because you can make a bigger and more noticeable imperfection if not real careful.
Yes. I painted my staircase and didn't prime it, and the paint did not stick to well, I started see the white come out of the sonora color I had used. It took a whole gallon and half just to keep retouching it. Needless to say I regretted not priming.
Prepainted walls should be sanded with 100 grit sand paper- pole sand -its easyer- Latex is fine- walls only-all doors an trim oil please- longer lasting


The new paints that are out offer good ware and wash (if you can still find it %26lt;calf%26gt; good luck) take it slow and easy you will make it Pete
If the wall board has nothing on it, you should prime it first. the wallboard and joints will absorb paint differently, so if you paint without priming you may have to put on several coats to cover it. Paint costs more than primer, so I would prime first.
Most new homes use latex which does not need priming. Some still use oil base in kitchens and bath. Wood trim also can be latex or oil. Its best if you ask the builder.
Yes, any time you are painting you should prime to ensure the actuall paint will have a good surface to go on that will make it last longer.
yes you need to prime. Builders do not paint

No comments:

Post a Comment