Monday, February 8, 2010

Do I need to apply a primer to a wall before painting it?

My 2 yr old marked over a wall with a crayon. Must I apply primer first and can I just paint over the crayon?Do I need to apply a primer to a wall before painting it?
First scrub that crayon well and get off as much as possible. Paint of any kind does not adhere well to wax. I would use a primer over the crayon marks. It will be difficult to cover and primer is less expensive than finish paint and will insure a good bond with your finish paint..Do I need to apply a primer to a wall before painting it?
You need to wash the crayon off the wall, you can use sand paper to remove it. A fine sand paper won't leave marks.
One of the best ways to remove crayon that I've ever tried is to use one of the ';Miracle eraser sponges'; manufactured by Mr. Clean and other companies. You wet the sponge and wring it out, then rub the crayon marks. It will take them off. These things also work on markers and soap scum. I was sceptical but my wife bought one and tried it. I'm hooked on them. We have twin four year old boys and our fair share of marks on the wall.
heat with a hair dryer and wipe with a damp rag see if you need to paint after ,,then buy the killz or bin primer,, or just two coat the paint after lettin a skim coat of the paint set over night ,,but hes right to save the price of the second coat just spray with b-i-n or shellac sealer five bucks at depot i paint for glidden for 27 years or zinzer
You need to put kilz on it first. you can buy a can of spray paint kilz if there isn't alot of markings on the wall. Otherwise get a gallon of Kilz and prime the wall first. The crayon will bleed if you don't...Union painter
You must remove all traces of the crayon like others have said. Wax is almost impossible to paint over and it will bleed through the best primer and paint.





The heat idea is good. Try a heat gun, but be careful. You may be better with a wax remover. You may not need to paint if it comes off. If all else fails use the sanding method with a good primer.





They make special paints for kids rooms that resist things like crayon. I'm thinking you should look into that. Picasso is just getting warmed up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment