Monday, February 8, 2010

Can I use primer for wall paint as canvas painting primer?

I know this sounds pretty silly but I have a lot of primer left from painting a wall in my room and I really don't want to waste it. Since I paint acrylic paint I'm wondering if I can use the left over primer for wall as my canvas acrylic painting primer. Primer I have is from Glidden and it says ';Interior PVA Drywall Primer %26amp; Sealer';. Any idea??





Thanks a bunch in advance!Can I use primer for wall paint as canvas painting primer?
I wouldn't use it on canvas or linen because it is less elastic and Will Crack. Only use gesso designed for this purpose.





I also would suggest you use pre-primed canvas already stretched whenever you can to eliminate poor stretching and out of square corners.


I've been an artist 45 years and am a professional framer for 30 and one of the most common problems I have with artists stretching their own canvases are that they are usually out of square and mis-measured canvases. For example if the artist intended to make a 20';x24'; and the measurement actually is 20 1/4'; x 23 7/8'; x 19 7/8'; x 24 1/8';. It makes it near impossible to frame. I usually have to re-stretch it at additional cost to the artist or make a custom frame instead of a less expensive readymade size.





If you must stretch your own for an odd size or very large size, using at least factory primed canvas or linen will give you a consistent even start. You can be sure that it is primed in an archival manner and will last for decades and maybe even centuries.Can I use primer for wall paint as canvas painting primer?
It depends to great extent on your attitude to your work. If you're the type that is careful about quality, don't.


Personally I see art as an expulsion of whatever it is within that is better expressed (any number of reasons why). Also my style is loose so quality is less important.


Technically the only problems would be quality and chemistry. It's unlikely to have chemistry problems since the base is PVA which (I believe) is non-reactive. Quality is only going to be a problem is the work is very fine. Mind you you'd be best check a bit first, you might find the surface too slick (or rough).


There are two fundamental reasons for priming. Both are most important if you use oils. Firstly is to isolate the canvas. Contrary to what everyone tends to think, cotton canvas is actually one of the worst supports there is. It has a short life span. Linen is three times as long. From a preservation point of view if the canvas is isolated it is possible to replace the canvas in the future which isn't the case if painting is direct. Secondly all colours tend to get transparent with age. If there is white behind the colours will stay brighter even if you put another dark ground over it. It'll also help them to zing when fresh.
http://www.ZELEBRITY.it





http://www.myspace.com/zelebrity133
no. use gesso

No comments:

Post a Comment