Thursday, February 18, 2010

When painting a wall, does it matter what color an adjacient room wall is?

My wife says that when painting a room wall you must match the adjacient room wall? the rooms are seperated with a door. I say NOT. Who is correct?When painting a wall, does it matter what color an adjacient room wall is?
It's a matter of preference, but since the rooms are seperated by a door, I agree with you.When painting a wall, does it matter what color an adjacient room wall is?
OK, here we go. There are three types of painting color schemes that we use in interior design, they are the monochromatic which is the same color everywhere which is what I grew up with and dislike because it's so boring (yawn), then there's the analogous, which is the same color, only in different tones, think sage meets evergreen meets moss, and lastly there's my personal favorite which are the complimentary colors found on the color wheel across from one another.


They match one another, think of a gentlemen's suit, tie and shirt combination to picture this one it's my favorite because it adds interest to the home.


There's also the matter of color and color value. In other words, you don't put a weak color next to a strong color. They should be harmonious and flow one into another seamlessly.


Ultimately, you have to live with your decision so enjoy the process and remember you might want to sell the house one day, so keep future buyers/resale in mind when you go all Picasso meets Rembrandt (lol).
If you can see the wall from the adjacent room, make sure that the colors harmonize and do not clash, if you are going to have different colors. Whether you use the same color or a coordinating color, it is a matter of preference.
It`s a matter of preference. If you like it you could paint all 4 walls different colors. There are no rules. Remember that you have to live with it, and the difference in colors. Sorry , I meant your wife and the different colors.
normally I wouldnt argue but it all depends on perspective.


do you want your eyes to flow into the next room?


if so then use a brighter color than on the previous room.


if you want guests not to look any further than the first room


them go for a deeper color.
My vote is for you. Paint your house any dang way you like. I just painted one of my living room walls a Berh color called apple crisp, but on my wall it looks like orange. The rest of my walls are white.

No comments:

Post a Comment