Thursday, February 18, 2010

When painting a wall, do you need to put primer over an already painted wall?

I have a wall that I painted last year. I used primer then I painted the wall. Do I need to prime the wall again to paint it. The wall was lavender and I am going with an eggshell blue. They are both light colors. I want to make sure it looks nice. Thank you for helping me!


- LOWhen painting a wall, do you need to put primer over an already painted wall?
I would to be on the safe side apply primer first if you don't plan on putting on 2 coats of paint. I've even bought the top quality one coat paint to help a friend paint her room and we ended up painting it 2 coats. Always plan on 2 coats unless you go from a white or light beige starting out or you will see it bleeding through. This for sure will do the trick and you will be very proud the job you did, and it will look nice. Have fun painting!When painting a wall, do you need to put primer over an already painted wall?
If you are changing types of paint( oil to latex) than that is a good idea. If the colors are a lot differnt a tinted primer may ensure only one coat, other wise you probley need 2 coats.
If the last coat was Latex (water baser) no. What you do is buy a good quality paint and see if one coat is enough. If not, 1 more coat will do the trick :)
no primer is needed just apply two coats and your good to go.


You do need to apply primer if you have oil base paint and are using latex this time.
Nope - Wash the wall with TSP and get a GOOD paint that's made to coat in one coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment