Sunday, February 21, 2010

Need help with painting a wall red?

Ok, I painted an accent wall red. I have put the primer on and 2 coats of paint, but I can still see the roller marks. How many coats will it take for it all to blend and look good?Need help with painting a wall red?
Get a new roller, one with a nice thick knap. Make sure you are getting enough paint on the roller. If you let it run dry and sticky while you're applying it, you'll see roller marks.





If you're looking at the wall with overhead lighting on, it's not very flattering and it brings out imperfections more. Look at the wall in natural light or with regular lamp light before you determine how bad it looks.Need help with painting a wall red?
what kind of paint did you use? gloss finish paints can be harder to hide roller-marks with because the light will relfect on spots where the paint is a little heavier. make sure you are using a fine roller.
Firstly,,what room in the house did you paint the accent wall. Kilz paint it great, one coat coverage..but maybe try a satin finish..that's what I did.
at this point, you just have to continue putting more paint on.





darker colors need more coats.
There are a few factors in not seeing the roller marks.





1) make sure you're following the directions. They tell you to apply new paint and feather it into the paint you've already applied. You use the roller with varying pressure to get this. Once the roller is nearly dry, you use light strokes to ';feather'; it into the adjoining drier paint.


2) I take this one step further, and once I have a strip of wall done top to bottom I go over the whole thing with long sweeping strokes and a light pressure to take the marks out.


3) You are using a dark color over (I would guess) light colored or newly primed walls. That usually takes 2 coats, if the paint is decent quality. Some paints claim one-coat coverage. I find that's true over similar colors, but they still can need 2 over very different colors (white over black, red over white).


4) A huge factor in how well the paint applies and appears when dry is the quality of the paint. I am completely enamored with Sherwin Williams Superpaint for this reason. I painted with drek (poor quality) paint from KMart for a while and then tried out the Superpaint. Never went back. It goes onto the walls like silk. The effort is greatly reduced. It looks good. The kitchen/bath paint really IS washable. And it lasts. I have used paint from the cans I bought in 2002 to do touch ups 2 weeks ago. I stirred it, did the touch up. It dried and was exactly the same color.





So, in summary.... follow directions on can as to paint application (they have a picture usually), feather in, feather whole strips, and use good paint!
one more should do it ,try a 50 %lambs wool 59% poly


roller cover should help eliminate roller marks.roller marks are usally a result of too much pressure on one side of the roller.
Did you tint your primer? If you work carefully on your third coat - 2 foot by 2 foot, hash mark the roller strokes. Load the roller, stroke it left and right in an M format, then do the same for the up and down over that same M then you should be able to cover the wall solidly. Might also try letting dry for a few days - then go over it in the spots that were off a little.
I had those problems too and when I used a paint sprayer no more problems I was into my 4th coat of a ralph lauren red color and wow

No comments:

Post a Comment