Monday, February 8, 2010

How can I prepare an exterior concrete wall for painting though I have no access to a pressure washer?

I am mural-painting an exterior concrete block which is the base for a metal traffic control box. All of it will be painted. I read on the interwebs that it's best to pressure-wash ext concrete before painting, but I have no access to water for the pressure washer. Do I have any alternatives?


I could transport *some* water to the site, just there is no hookup for a hose.How can I prepare an exterior concrete wall for painting though I have no access to a pressure washer?
i'd transport some water there. use a semi-rigid brush, water, and some concrete cleaner (check out Thompson, they make one) to scrub the concrete.


rinse very well (even if it just consists of repeatedly throwing water on it).


allow the concrete to dry thoroughly (i'd leave it for a day if it's sunny).


PRIME the concrete with a concrete primer (if you don't the mural paint probably won't stick that long) and let that dry thoroughly.


do your mural!How can I prepare an exterior concrete wall for painting though I have no access to a pressure washer?
I'd use some tri-sodium phosphate (****'n Span) available at a hardware store, to degrease the concrete and perhaps muratic acid (also available at hardware or pool supply store) to etch the concrete and prepare it for painting. in fact, call a pool store and see what they recommend for pre-painting prep.





Edit: I can't believe that YA won't let me write the brand-name of a common cleaning product, ';Spick 'n Span'; beause it thinks I'm using an ethnic slur. The product's name is without the ';k.';

No comments:

Post a Comment